Thursday, February 19, 2009

Becoming best friends







I have been astounded lately at how well Ethan and Lauren have been getting along together while Josh is at school. Not that Josh causes the problems, but when it's just these two in the mix, the dynamic is so different.

They are by nature more easy going and way less intense. Consequently, when they fight, they are quick to forgive each other and to switch from crying/hitting to laughing/hugging in a heartbeat. Yesterday they had been fighting over some of those little velvety poster things that you color with markers. I told them to hug and apologize, and they left my bedroom saying to each other, "I love you, Ethan" "I love you, Lauren" "I love you, Ethan" "I love you, Lauren" repeatedly as their irritation dissolved into delightful giggles.

These two are only 17 months apart, so it stands to reason that they would be close, but prior to Josh's starting school, the dynamic sort of always went "the boys" and "Lauren." Now, it's great because Ethan and Lauren get "alone" playtime in the morning, and in the afternoon, it's all about boy time. The boys will play in the woods for hours, while Lauren tires of that after about 20 minutes or so.

It will be interesting to see what next year is like when Josh and Ethan are both in school!

No comments: