Friday, February 13, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday



I have no time to do this today, yet here I sit. My house is full of boxes, some packed, some empty. Cabinets are half-empty, half-strewn all over my kitchen. Joshua decided that today needed to be arts and crafts day in our household, so he has filled the living room with all manner of pine cones, ribbons, glue, construction paper strips, etc. And, here I sit just for you. And because I needed a break. You can thank me later.

2.

Ethan overheard me talking to David the other day about a house he had looked at in PA. Ethan said, "Mommy, I don't want to move." This was a change. He's been excited about the move. "Why not," I queried? "Because Aunt Nae has a Playstation." Ah, I see.

3.

Speaking of cute kid sayings, the following is funny but makes perfectly logical sense when you consider that we buy toys at the toy store, groceries at the grocery store, and pets at the pet store.
As we walked past the tempting looking candy machines while leaving gymnastics Wed night:
Lauren: Mommy, can we get some candy?
Me: No, Lauren, not tonight.
Lauren: Why not?
Me: Well, because you don't need any and because I don't have any change.
Lauren: Do you have any dollars?
Me: No, I don't have any money at all right now.
Lauren: I wish we could just to to the dollar store and get some dollars.

4.

One good thing about packing one's house to move . . . unexpected finds.

While packing up David's closet yesterday, I came across his laptop bag from law school. In it, I found a "Happy 1st Anniversary" card from David's parents. In that, I found . . . drumroll, please . . . a FIFTY dollar bill!

So, thanks Mom and Dad R. It couldn't have come at a better time. :)

5.

I had to start back on blood pressure medicine yesterday. Don't know why, but my bp has decided to creep up again after I've been completely med-free for over two months.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the stress of my life right now. Sadly, I can't even blame it on the dog since I gave him away.

6.

Have any of you tasted your kids' valentine hearts? Those heart-shaped sweet-tart wannabes with the little messages on them?

I remember liking these when I was a kid, but I ate one a couple of days ago and, oh my gosh, the horror! It tasted like I was eating solidified dentist flouride. And, it was not just me. My cousin was here and tasted one, too, after seeing my horrified reaction. (Because, for some reason, that seems to be what people do when someone says, "Taste this; it's disusting.")

He agreed. These are not the "sweet-hearts" of our youth.

7.

Oh, we survived the house inspection. Despite my fear that the inspector guy was going to hand me a copy of our contract with a giant red X over it, we seem to be still on track to close on March 6.

A few minor things need doing, but nothing too bad. Though, if you look at the 14-page report from the inspector, it sounds at first glance as though the house needs to be condemn postehaste. Nothing to humble a person like seeing magnified close-up shots of the rust at the base of your water heater, or worse a photo of the pipes UNDER MY KITCHEN SINK.

Not that there's anything wrong with the pipes, but how embarrassing to see a photo of all the unorganized, cluttered mess of cleaning supplies and flashlights and even a plunger under our kitchen sink.

(Don't worry, it's not the toilet plunger. It's the kitchen sink plunger. Yes, we have one because we needed one. Once. I wouldn't let David use the bathroom one, so I insisted on buying one just for the sink. We've never needed it again, but now we have one, so I won't let anyone use it in the bathroom. Now, it's just there for Mr. Inspector Man to see and photograph and probably hope we never invite him to dinner.)

3 comments:

Heather said...

I don't know about you, but I would gladly give that Dollar Store a lot of business! :)

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your 7 QT's... I loved your sons answer to not wanting to move. A very valid reason, I might add, lol...

I love the header of your blog. Your children are gorgeous, and so happy looking... just as kids should be.

Oh, and great name for your daughter. I love it so much, that I named my own daughter that. She is nearly 16 :0)

My Happy Homestead said...

Take it easy..... not an easy task when packing up your house, right?! Praying for your BP to go down.