Monday, May 5, 2008

Wow, that hurt

So, I finally feel like I'm getting back to life. Decided to give running - okay, jogging - a try tonight. Since my surgery (if you know me at all, you've completely ignored that phrase and inserted "since I was 19"), I haven't done much exercise except the stationary bike, but my brother's got me intrigued by the idea of trying a mini-triathalon at the end of June (http://www.callawaygardens.com/Callaway/info/calendar/calendar.fitnessseries_sprinttriathlon.event.aspx ) It occurred to me that perhaps I should try running, swimming, and/or riding a bicycle sometime between now and then, or I'll just be shelling out $50 for the opportunity to embarrass myself - which I seem to find myriad ways to do daily at no cost. Granted, there still stands a very good likelihood that I'll still be experiencing said embarrassment, but at least I now know that I can run a mile and a half and not die. And, it was probably at a faster pace than most octagenarians . . . at least those who had surgery 9 weeks ago.

So, now David (who began jogging while I was in the hospital) is out jogging the same route I just jogged. He was surprised by how quickly I made it back (honestly, he was probably surprised that I made it back at all), so he's out to outpace me. I'll keep you posted. (He's going to kill me for this post!)

Update: he's back. He beat me. I'll keep the times to myself lest he feel he didn't beat me by enough.

1 comment:

CM and JM said...

you are too funny. Even JJ reads your blog and laughs hysterically most of the time :) thanks for the fun tibbid of info about your life :) C.