Friday, June 19, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday



1.

I tell Lauren that she's pretty a lot. I can't help it; she's my only girl. Of course, I also tell her that she's beautiful because of what's on the inside, how God made her special, and it's kindness and love that make a person truly beautiful.

I think now I need to start emphasizing humility a little more. Yesterday she came up to me and very seriously asked, "Mommy, why am I so much prettier than Ethan and Josh?"

2.

"Aw, shucks!"

This is Joshua's newest favorite phrase. He purposely asks me for things he knows I will so no to - like having ice cream for breakfast - just so that he can say, "Aw, shucks!" afterward.

It was cute at first, and I laughed about it, but now it's getting a little old. Yesterday I said, "Okay, Josh, enough with the 'aw, shucks.'" He said, "I thought you thought it was funny." I explained that I did, but that after awhile something that was funny can start to get annoying. "You know how sometimes something is funny but then you get tired of it?" I asked to my six year-old son who would watch Kung Fu Panda twenty times a day if I let him and who thinks underarm toots are the most hilarious sound in the world. No, he said, he does not know.

3.

Ethan is going to make me insane. Seriously insane. I know that all younger siblings like to copy their older counterparts. Copying is normal. It is natural. That does not make it any less freaking annoying. It's become as though he doesn't have a single thought in his head that is his own, and because I know that he is a smart kid, it is making me crazy.

Morning:
Me: Ethan, what would you like for breakfast?
Ethan: What is Josh having?
Me: He's having pickled pigs ears.
Ethan: I want pickled pigs ears.

Afternoon:
Josh: I have to go to the bathroom.
Ethan (a split-second later): I have to go to the bathroom.
Me: pee or poop?
Ethan: pee
Josh: poop
Ethan: I mean, poop

Seriously, you can make yourself poop just to copy your brother? What are you??!!

Evening:
Josh: Mom, I'm cold.
Ethan: And me.
Josh: You're just copying me
Ethan: Am not
Josh: Actually, I'm hot. May I take off my shirt?
Ethan: And me.

All. day. long.

4.

Am I the only one who doesn't understand the point of 2-ply toilet paper? Don't you use just as much paper whether you use a short length of 2-ply or a long length of 1-ply? I can't see why 2-ply paper was ever invented. If it was too thin, why not just make it thicker? Am I missing something here?

It's the important things in life that really bother me.

5.

Joshua loves to wash dishes. He begs me not to put them in the dishwasher because he wants to wash them. Far be it from me to discourage a child from doing something helpful and productive.



To my future daughter-in-law, whoever you may be: You're welcome.

6.

Tomorrow is Ethan's birthday party. I should be cleaning the house. Or working in the yard. Or making the cake. Or shopping for the rest of the food. Or wrapping his gifts.

But, I'm tired, and the list is so long. Instead I'll procrastinate and wait until I reach the Oh-my-God-the-birthday-party-is-in-a-few-hours-and-the-bathroom-smells-like-pee-and-I-have-to-make-food-so-could-everyone-please-shut-up-and-leave-me-the-heck-alone level of panic. That's when I work best.

7.

You know the best way to get your kids to play with their toys and share nicely? Put said toys in a giveaway box.

While cleaning the playroom a couple of weeks ago, I filled three huge boxes with toys to give away. Of course, those are instantly their favorite toys which they cherish more than anything in the whole world and that have been looooking for and without which they simply cannot live. So, this morning since I wanted to blog need to get the house cleaned for the party, I agreed to let them each take one thing from the giveaway boxes to play with. They have been playing upstairs with said toys for almost an hour.

Must remember this tactic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE reading your posts! And, know exactly what you mean on much of this. My kids even see photos with old toys in the background and ask for those that have long been given away!