Friday, April 16, 2010

Perspective

Have you ever tried to explain God? To use words - letters strung together - to describe the holy, omnipotent Creator of all things?

Have you tried to explain acts of God? To ascertain why He caused or allowed certain things to happen but prevented others? To make sense of what He is doing?

I thought of this today as I was dropping Lauren off at the babysitter's house so I could go to work. She was protesting having to stay there and trying to think of a way to get to go with me. (Just for the record, she loves going to the sitter's house and did not want to leave when I picked her up 2.5 hours later.)

Her final attempt was this: "I'll go to work and you stay here."

So I asked her, "What would you do if you went to work for me? What do you think I'm going to do when I get to my office?"

After some vague answers about doing "important stuff" and talking to "work people," she finally decided that I would be "typing and calling somebody on the phone."

Pretty accurate. So I probed further.

Me: "Who do you think I will call?"
L: "Mr. W." (another attorney in town who used to work with David)
"And what will I type?"
"Letters."
"What will the letters say?"
"Hmmmm . . . Dear Mr. W. and Dear Mrs. Bacon (which cracked her up) and Dear Paige and Dear Tyler . . . Everybody loves cotton candy and sugar. And we all love hair and teeth. Love, Rebecca R."

When I thought about it later, it occurred to me that I probably sound just as hilariously off-base when I try to explain things of God.

Lauren's answers are based on her experience. She has seen me type and talk on the phone and when she tries to think of really important things, sadly she comes up with cotton candy and sugar. (As if the two weren't redundant.) She has a limited understanding because she has a limited experience.

"Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out! “Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?" Romans 11:33-34

Lauren has no idea what I am doing when I sit in my office, and truth be told, I have no idea what God is doing upon His throne. May I be as unfettered by worry and concern as she is, knowing that the One who does know is running the show.

2 comments:

Lenae said...

Great insight, Becky! (And 'Mrs. Bacon' made me laugh too :).

SZM said...

Love this!