Friday, April 16, 2010

7 Quick Takes



1.

I am slow.

I used to be fast. I ran the 400 meter dash on my high school track team. I could score points in ultimate frisbee or evade a pursuer in capture-the-flag. My feet were swift.

Today I raced my 7 year-old, and he won. We raced again a few hours later, and we tied but only because the race ended. If it had lasted a few more feet, he would have won. Again.

I cannot believe I am slower than a first grader.

I hope I'm still smarter then a 5th grader.

2.

When we got home from our after dinner walk/run, David was mocking me mercilessly trying to analyze how it is that Josh was able to beat me. I realized that I had been wearing blue jeans during both races.

"Josh," I said as he walked up onto the porch where David and I were sitting, "if I hadn't been wearing jeans I would have beaten you."

"With what?" he replied.

I'm still laughing.

3.

My flowers are blooming!! This is what the bed in front of my house looks like right now:




Spring is here. For today at least. I think next week we're back to highs in the 40's. But for today, beautiful today, I am thankful for Spring.

4.

Of course, with the beautiful flowers comes another unwelcome sign of Spring.

Bees.

Ethan has had a couple of run-ins with the buzzy little creatures, but he has not been bitten. Nevertheless, every night when I put him to bed, this is what he asks me to pray: that the bees won't sting him or come in his window and that he won't dream about bees or feel like there's a bee in his shirt.

Yes, all of that. Every night. And he reminds me if I forget one.

5.

He also says, "Period" at the end of every prayer these days. Apparently, he's learned that one ends a sentence with a period, and he likes it better than Amen.

"Dear God, thank you for my family and my friends. Help me have good dreams. In Jesus's name, period."

6.

Oh, I almost forgot. Breaking news. Ethan has two loose teeth.

I think I'm going to cry. For two reasons.

One, I love smiles full of baby teeth. They are so cute and precious and not awkwardly half child/half grown-up.

Two, I'm the worst tooth fairy ever. Not only do I always forget to trade the tooth for money, I can't seem to keep up with the teeth afterward. Joshua wants to see all of the teeth he's lost (not surprising from the kid who tries to collect his hair as it falls from the barber's scissors), and I don't know what I've done with most of them.

Hanging my head in shame . . . again.

7.

Don't forget to head over to Conversion Diary to check out more QuickTakes.

3 comments:

SZM said...

# 5 made me laugh out loud! Thanks for the morning chuckle....I am also a terrible tooth fairy...I've lost all the teeth and I frequently forget to pay!

Maia said...

Though a few years premature, I have been wondering, lately, what to do with baby teeth once they fall out. #7 made me chuckle. I mean, after all, you can't just toss them, but if you keep them, all sorts of new questions arise: Where Do You Put Them? Do You Sort Them? Do You Label Them? How Long Is An Acceptable Time To Keep Them?
I hate keeping things, yet I have a little sentimental bone in my body that whispers, "You will want this."
It was at said bone's urging that I kept a lock of hair from my toddler's first haircut last week. *sigh* But I still don't know where to keep it.

Bill said...

Let's see.
Kid puts tooth under pillow and goes to sleep.
Tooth Fairy gets tooth and leaves money. (I think lawyers call that 'consideration'.)
How would you end up with a tooth that lawfully belongs to the Tooth Fairy?