Thursday, April 1, 2010

7 Quick Takes


1.

Since tomorrow is Good Friday, I decided to go ahead and do a few Quick Takes today so that I can write something more contemplative tomorrow.

2.
Lauren loves to beat around on the piano and make up songs. Yesterday she was playing with even more gusto than normal, and when she finished I asked her what that song was called.

Her answer: "Vedree, Why Don't You Take Care of Your Baby?"

If I didn't know better, I'd think my four year-old daughter was a script writer for the Ma.ury Pov.ich show.

3.

I made these cupcakes for Joshua's class yesterday. I probably don't have to tell you that they were a huge hit.



4.
I was feeling like a domestic failure because I tried to make bunny-shaped cookies, but let's just say they did not turn out. Cookies they were. Bunny-shaped they were not.

In my defense, the recipe called for malted milk powder. Who the heck has that on hand? Not me. Most people could probably just run to the store and locate some, but then again, most people live in a town with more than six people.

So when my amoeba-shaped cookies came out of the oven, I began looking online for cute cupcake ideas instead. Cuter and so much easier. (The picture I stole this idea from also included a Twizzler stick as a "handle," but I couldn't bring myself to add yet more sugar to a snack that already included a cupcake with icing, jelly beans, and a marshmallow peep!)

5.

This weekend is causing me no small amount of stress. Which I hate because I would like to be less stressed and more prayerful during Holy Week, but it's not happening this year.

I inquired as to whether our church has any special Easter activities for the children and was told they do not. So, like any other insane person would do, I said, "Why don't I put together something?" So, I am now organizing (and I use the term loosely) an Easter Celebration at our church on Saturday from 1:00-3:00.

Then at 5:00 we are having a birthday party at our house for one of David's aunts who is turning 79. There will be about 20 adults coming for this dinner party. Fortunately, since I have the Easter thing that afternoon and am providing the semi-clean house for the gathering, I am not charged with preparing any of the food. However, my house has many miles to go before it reaches semi-clean status.

And, did I mention my in-laws are coming for the weekend? They'll be here tonight. In about five hours or so.

6.
I am hoping to make it to a Good Friday service tomorrow, but the kids are out of school so we will see how that goes.

I would just take them if it was our own church, but our church does not have one, and I suspect the only service in town will be at the Catholic church. I'm not opposed to taking my kids to a Catholic mass, but somehow I don't think attending with the kids it tow would provide me with the time of spiritual rest and reflection that I am seeking. Just a hunch.

7.

Today is the day we remember the Last Supper, the night Jesus celebrated the Passover with his disciples:

"And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, 'This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.' In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, 'This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.'"

I love taking communion in church. I love the reminder that when I feel like I am not adequate for the challenges before me or like I don't have it in me to run this race and finish well, I am reminded in this than I do not run in my own strength. As I partake of the wine and the bread, I am cognizant that I am "filling myself" with Christ and His strength. His righteousness. His merit.

Fill yourself with Him today.

No comments: