Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Way Back Whensday



Lauren will be three next week. It is always with mixed emotions that I look at pictures of her as a newborn. She was my only girl, my last baby, and she had to be induced three weeks early due to my high blood pressure. Every mom feels protective of her unborn/newborn baby during delivery, but with Lauren, I felt even more so. To make matters worse, I missed most of the first few weeks of her life because of my out-of-control blood pressure, which caused me to be hospitalized without her from days 4-8 of her life, and then it was still several weeks after that before I could take care of her well alone. The upside is that she bonded with my mom and my sister-in-law in a way that she never otherwise could have. She spent the first few weeks of her life with her Gaga and her Aunt Nae doing most of her middle-of-the-night feedings and diaper changes. I sometimes felt like they knew her better than I did . . . which I realize is a pretty silly thought when you're talking about a 3 week old, but women who've recently given birth aren't always the most logical thinkers. After two 8 1/2 lb boys, she seemed like such a fragile little peanut at 6lbs 5oz. Which, if you know Lauren at all now, is a pretty hilarious thought. She's about as far from "fragile" and "peanut" as one can get. But, she's still awfully special. She's still my last baby. She's still my only girl. And, she's still beautiful.

No comments: