Monday, September 15, 2008

The Magnitude of God

Joshua and I have been reading the Narnia books for awhile now, and we're currently on Prince Caspian. (It's slow-going finding time to read only to him since the books don't quite hold the attention of the younger two yet.)

Tonight, we read one of my favorite passages where Lucy speaks to Aslan for the first time since the children's last trip to Narnia. This is the text:

"Alsan," said Lucy, "you're bigger."
"That is because you are older, little one," answered he.
"Not because you are?"
"I am not. But every year you grow, you will find me bigger."

Isn't this so true in life? God does not get bigger or stronger or more capable, but the longer I know Him, the surer my faith becomes, the more He seems bigger than I ever dreamed. When He had saved me once, He seemed big. When He had brought me out of despair twice, He seemed bigger. When He had made a way where there seemed to be no way on too many occasions to count, He seemed bigger still.

Someone in our Sunday school class this week compared understanding God to looking at the Grand Canyon through a tiny peep-hole in a fence. I think that's exactly what C.S. Lewis was talking about . . . and the hole through which we see Him gets bigger over time so that we are able to see just a little more of Him. Sometimes the widening of our scope comes through joy; probably more often it comes through pain, but ultimately, triumph.

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. I John 3:2

No comments: