Sunday, December 13, 2009

A true feast

One of my favorite things about staying in a hotel is the breakfast buffet. Yeah, I know, that's kind of sad, but it factors significantly into my choice of hotels. The buffet in Buffalo last week did not disappoint.

We had eaten a rather early dinner the night before and had accidentally left the bag of snacks in the car. Since it was 20 degrees outside, neither David nor I jumped at the chance to retrieve the snacks, so the kids had to endure - gasp! - and entire night without snacks.

The happy result of this was that at breakfast the next morning, they were famished. They ate everything they put on their plates and then some. No chiding, no scolding, no negotiating how many more bites they had to eat. (This is only ever an issue with Ethan and Lauren; Josh is the world's best eater.) Apparently, when we're at home, I let my kids snack too often, because at lunch the same thing happened. We spent the entire morning shopping, so it was a bit late by the time we went to lunch, and they had once again had no snacks. They cleaned their lunch plates in record time.

This was sadly like an epiphany for me: when the kids are hungry, they will eat. Huh.

As I was considering this groundbreaking newsflash, I couldn't help but think about my own spiritual state. Too often I fill myself up with things other than the Bread of Life, and inevitably my appetite for Him wanes. I snack on worship music, spiritual readings, and fellowship with the saints.

Oh, it looks like a good diet, chock-full of vitamins and nutrients, but the truth is those things are meant as supplements. Side items. Christ is the feast, the only food that gives life. May I always hunger for Him.

"For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world." John 6:33

1 comment:

Lenae said...

Great reminder, Becky!