Friday, December 18, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday



1.

So, I went to the doctor yesterday because I thought I had a kidney infection. Turns out I have pneumonia. That's right. Who mistakes pneumonia for a kidney infection?? It's almost like my imaginary medical degree isn't worth the paper it's not written on.

2.

Of course my timing is impeccable, as usual. We're supposed to have a Christmas party at our house tomorrow night. I'm trying my hardest to make it still happen. Don't worry, mom, I won't overdo it. I'm only cleaning the house, grocery shopping, cooking, and taking care of the kids. Nothing to fret over. Seriously, you know me and a party. Once we've been introduced, we're not easily torn asunder.

So, I'm pulling myself up by the bootstraps (which is difficult because my boots, cute as they are not, don't even have straps) and trying to move ahead with the party. I've always been one to put up a fight. Unless it involved something I really didn't want to do anyway, like clean out my laundry room; then, I'm pretty easily put down.

3.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to my sweet friend Jenny for helping me out in my crisis yesterday. Not only did she keep Lauren the whole day so I could take some knock-me-out-and-make-me-feel-better-pills, she also let the boys ride the bus to her house after school, and then play at her house until suppertime. What a friend!

While being blessed by such awesomeness, I almost felt for a moment like maybe I can really survive living here without my mom. Almost.

4.

So, one of my favorite blogs is hosting one of my favorite giveaways ever. Sarah is giving away an adorable apron from Jessie Steele. I actually asked David for one of these for Christmas weeks ago, so much do I love them.

I know what you're thinking: isn't being a good cook sort of a prerequisite for loving aprons? Nay, nay, my friend. I may be a lousy cook, but I'm an excellent baker. Plus, I bet if I owned such an adorable apron, I'd become a better cook. I'm pretty sure that's all I'm missing.

If you like the aprons, head over to Sarah's blog and enter the giveaway. Even if you don't, you'll be glad you checked out her blog.

5.

I never did post pictures from our Buffalo weekend. This is the kids with the animal "skins" they selected at the Build-a-Bear workshop.



And, here is Joshua putting the stuffing in his:




The rest of the pictures turned out sort of yellow for some reason, and I am not up to editing this morning, so that will have to do.

6.

On the way home from Buffalo, we went skating with the youth from our church. I'm pretty sure this is the most adorable roller skater there has ever been.




Thank you to the person who told me that you can ask to have your kids' wheels tightened so that they barely turn. This brilliant piece of advice saved my back from much pain and suffering.

7.

Some of my favorite Christmas lyrics to meditate on:

Long lay the world in sin and error, pining
'Till He appeared and the Spirit felt its worth.
A thrill of hope; the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.

Fall on your knees! O, hear the angel voices!
O night divine, the night when Christ was Born;
O night, O holy night, O night divine!

Has your soul felt its worth this Christmas? Find it in Christ.

1 comment:

This Heavenly Life said...

Your last QT has just about topped off my Christmas Spirit-ometer. Beautiful words. Those hymns we sing every year are so long-heard that I forget to pay attention to the words. So lovely.

I hope you feel better IMMEDIATELY. Did you hear that 'Monia? I was YELLING at you to leave Becky alone! She has a party to prepare...and hilarious jokes to tell.

Happy weekend to you!