Saturday, August 21, 2010

Good Things



I love these kids. Sometimes I look at them, especially the three on the end, and my heart is so full it could burst.

This is it, I think to myself. This is what life is all about. Could there be anything better?

The answer to that is yes. There is something much better. Someone at least.

I find that I'm often satisfied with the things this life has to offer. Friends, family, food, laughter, beaches, campfires, sunsets, music, love. There are so many good things in this life I'm living that it's sometimes easy to be satisfied with the earthly version of God's good gifts.

I'm reminded of taking my boys to play games at the arcade when they were preschoolers. I didn't even have to put quarters in because they were content to steer and maneuver while the game was in demo mode. The glaring, all-caps "Please Insert Token" didn't diminish their enjoyment in the slightest.

They were completely satisfied with a fake game, never even knowing that there was a "real" version.

God has filled the world with His goodness, surrounded us with glimpses of Himself. When I stop and think about it, most everything good in life can be seen sort of as a "fake" version of the "real" good thing - the ONLY good thing - God.

We build friendships and learn that there is a Friend who sticks closer than a brother.

We fall in love and get married and realize we have a Bridegroom who loves us with an everlasting love.

We become parents and know the depth of a Father's love more fully than ever.

We create and get a glimpse of a Creator's heart.

What the Holy Spirit has been prompting me to remember lately is that the things God has given us, the oh-so-good things with which He has surrounded us, were never meant to satisfy. They were meant to make me hunger for the Giver of all good things.

"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse." (Romans 1:20-21)

May I never be satisfied with the gifts but treasure them as merciful glimpses of a good and gracious Giver.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is the first time I have looked at your blog. I suppose its open to everyone but i feel as if i'm peering into maybe a too personal of a space but as I said, it must be open for me to do this. Anyway, your thoughts made me cry this morning as I lie here knowing that one day I had what you had and your wordsbeautifully explain the the passion of a mother concerning her family and how we see and get to know God thru the veil so to speak. Tears are on my face as I realize even today I still see God in those same ways and he shows himself to me as my partner, my husband, my financial controller, my lawyer, my friend and savior of all things as time has moved on and i am alone....but not really alone. Thanks for allowing me to read your thoughts. Your spirit is a wise woman Becky. love you. Sallie

Lenae said...

This past week a very dear older woman in our congregation passed away. She was a relentless prayer warrior and a sweetheart grandmother-to-all: needless to say, she will be sorely missed. I was floored by all the positive remembrances of her on Facebook; especially that every single comment noted that she is with our Lord and Savior now. It was wonderful to be reminded that there is something beyond this world, something much, much better, as you pointed out.

This was wonderful, Becky -- Bravo.